Your life is boring, it sucks, you’re in a rut and need to make some changes but what to do that is the question. Most of us get to this realization at some point in our lives. For most of us it’s as we’ve gotten older, often once we are over 50 and life is not as exciting or as full as it once was. For many life’s circumstances have forced changes on them that they do not like and don’t know how to handle so they do nothing and boredom sets in. Going through a divorce, losing someone that you love, losing your job, retiring, kids leaving home, moving to a new place these are all very challenging times for most of us but it happens all the time.
We can feel sorry for ourselves for a while that is definitely a part of the process and certainly allowed but then it’s time to examine your life and have a conversation with yourself about what comes next. You know that you need and want to change your life but it seems like such a lot of effort to make more changes even if they are ones of your choosing. What if you take a chance and it all backfires? What will other people think of you if you go off and do something very different to what you’ve always done? Will they think that you are foolish and ungrateful because compared to many others you’ve actually got a good life?
These are the questions that keep most of us stuck in the first place. We constantly second guess ourselves and afraid of what others think rather than doing what is best for us. We are talking about you living a boring life here and there are so many things that you can do that could change your life from boring to useful, productive, creative, fun and enjoyable and who can be bored when they live like that?
Many find themselves alone after years of marriage and bringing up children they are at a loss but there have to be things that you really would like to do. Let’s take a look at a few ideas…
- Travel is one of the favorite pastimes of many people of all ages but travel takes money and time but if you think outside of the box maybe it is doable even for you. Could you combine a hobby with travel and make some cash at the same time. An example could be photography and selling your pictures. What about house sitting in one of the many places you want to visit? I know of a lady that house sits for someone in Naples Florida for a couple of months every year.
- Taking up a hobby that you love will give you pleasure and enjoyment as well as the potential to make some extra money, depending what your hobby is. Cooking, sewing, carpentry, painting, and many more hobbies can turn into cash on your pocket or just do it for the fun of it.
- If you are creative what can you create for yourself or others? Writing, music, websites, making something creative is great while you are creating you can’t be bored at the same time. Maybe you can even take your creativity to others and teach more about it too.
- If you want to move away, where do you want to go? What do you know about the place, what do you need to know and do to make this happen? Is it really doable? A friend of mine went to live in Mexico a year ago and so far so good she loves it and her lifestyle there. She sold her house and purchased a new home in a gated community where the residents a re friendly and they have lots of parties and fun times. She didn’t do it without first doing a ;lot of research about the area, health care, legal aspects and so on. All these things take time but need to be done if you want it to be a successful move.
- Do you love animals or children? How can you be of service to others and work with what you love?
- If you were a volunteer what would you volunteer to do? In a hospital, teaching, coaching, feeding the hungry, food bank, traveling to other countries to volunteer with agencies, etc.
- If you are an expert at something how can you show others how to become an expert too?
If you are really honest with yourself why would you choose a boring life over one that could be fulfilled, busy and happy. No Matter how big or small your changes are they can make a difference. It’s time to ban boredom and change your life! Time to do what you love.