The game of bridge has been played for over a hundred years. There are thousands of people from all walks of life that get together to play bridge on a regular basis. Playing bridge is a great way to make new friends and can definitely improve your social life.
Playing a card game like Bridge is also stimulation for the brain; it’s an excellent form of brain fitness especially as we age. Although it is a complex game once learned those that play become hooked. Bridge is a game that is also attracting a younger element. As a matter of fact my cousin’s two teenage children were participating in a bridge tournament in Las Vegas not too long ago.
Bridge is derived from the game of whist, which was very popular when I was a child growing up in the UK. It was very common to see whist drives advertised in various halls, and they were very well attended.
A few of my friends play Bridge on a regular basis. They have formed a Bridge group and take it in turns to go to each other’s homes where they have dinner together, which is provided by the host of the evening, and then they spend a few hours playing Bridge. It’s a very pleasant way to spend an evening with friends. For those that are retired and beginning a new lifestyle bridge is an excellent way to form new friendships with other retirees.
If you don’t already play bridge it may be worth considering for a number of reasons. Bridge is an ideal activity for the winter evenings. Also, if you are at an age where you are less mobile and unable to do some of the more physical activities you may have been used to. Learning the game of Bridge can be done in a number of ways. You can get beginner bridge lessons on line, often at no cost. You will also find videos online to help you, but if you would prefer, you can learn the basics on how to play Bridge from a book.
One of the best ways to get started is to find an existing Bridge game going on and see if they would allow you to observe. Do make sure that you find a good teacher though. By actually observing, the game may start to make sense to you quicker, plus observing would be helpful in learning the rules too. As with learning anything new the best way is to get started, play, keep practicing and be patient with yourself.
Once you become proficient in playing Bridge you may want to join card parties and even participate in Bridge tournaments. Bridge is a game that you play with a partner usually in a group of four, but it doesn’t have to be for just four people. The game of bridge is adaptable and can be played by larger groups.
- Bridge Odyssey iPhone App | The Tech Update
- New Cabin Air Filter Honda Element 2003 04 05 06 07 08 | Redline9
- Observations on film art : DVDs for these long winter evenings
- Transmaterial » Blog Archive » Element
- Dark Horizons « In the Dark
- unprung « gitatronic shirtings a la whist der nonclementure
- The Mobile Lifestyle: The Things you need | Developing mind | Lifestyle Design, Enlightenment, Life Essentials, Truth, Antics
- Columbia Presbyterian Church celebrates 100 years | The Marion County Informer
- Some thoughts on Research as an Element in Telecentre/Community Informatics Practice « Gurstein's Community Informatics
- Margaret’s Journey #36 – Jewel Diver: Dividing Your Attention | Brain Fitness Australia