Hairstyles for over 50 – how to look youngerBy
Looking good over 50 is easier for some than for others. Some people look better in their 50s than they ever have in their lives. Have you noticed that many of the less fortunate looking when they are in their youth seems to grow into their features and look better as they age?
Nothing is more aging on you than your hairstyle and hair color. For many their hair is their best feature. Some over 50s are fortunate enough to maintain a head of thick, glossy hair that they seem to be able to get styled anyway that they want. For others aging brings with it hair loss, or thinning hair and gray roots.
The good news is that there’s a lot that we can do to look great over 50. The right hair color and a good haircut can totally enhance your looks. Always keep in mind that what may have been the right color hair for you years ago is not going to be the same color that’s right for you over 50. As our skin tone changes so should our hair color. If you haven’t already done so you should consider going 2 shades lighter than your natural hair color. The right hair style, color and radiant skin can have you looking fabulous. Hair and skin are usually the first things people notice about you, so if you would like to improve the appearance of your skin too now you are over 50 take a serious look at red light therapy.
Having an interest in hair runs in my family! I completed a three-year hairdressing apprenticeship after I left school back in the UK and worked in the industry for several years. Both my daughters also trained in hairdressing. Coloring our hair has never been an issue for us as it is big part of that industry. However when we moved from the UK to Canada in the early 1980s people were not very adventurous with using color on their hair like we were used to seeing back in the UK. When we first arrived in Canada my one daughter had very dark hair with a few blond and purple pieces. You would have thought she was a celebrity by the amount of young people that would approach her and tell her how much they loved her hair and where did she get it done. A few years later my daughters had a hair salon in the town where we lived. I am sure that they did a lot to introduce color into the hair of many of the women in that area.
You probably know someone that you would love to have a makeover especially their hair. A number of years ago I met a lady while I was on a course. She had long gray hair; it was difficult to tell her age. We became friends and when I introduced this lady to my kids they thought she was a good 10 years older than me when in fact she is 7 years younger than I am. My friend eventually got a good hair cut and style that suited her also added some color with highlights and low lights. The transformation was amazing, people just didn’t believe it was the same person, and of course she has never gone back to her long gray aging hair.
Men also need to be careful with their hairstyle and color. I met a man about 12 years ago when he was around age 50, he had a full head of hair and a beard, it was obvious even back then that he was coloring both. It’s a lot more acceptable these days for men to color their hair so that wasn’t the issue, it was the fact that his hair was way too dark for a man of his age; there was never a gray hair in site. Over the years he has continued to color his hair and beard and the color has remained very dark and solid making him look very harsh. He is now in his 60’s and looks like some villain from an old movie.
Most men can get away with graying hair and beard as long as it is well groomed. Grey or partial gray can be a very distinguished look for a man. It’s important for a man to get a good hair cut and style that is right for him if he wants to stay smart and more youthful. Straggling thin hair doesn’t look good on anyone. I’m sure you have seen the men with balding or thinning hair with a straggly pony tail trailing down their back or a piece of long thin hair combed over a thinning or bald spot…not a good look. Many men look good being totally bald too. The main thing to remember is to be well groomed and have a style appropriate for your age and coloring. Some more mature men can wear hair that’s streaked and a bit longer and look very youthful but it’s not for everyone.
As women get older long hair is often less attractive, it is usually a good idea to have it no longer than chin length. However many women love their long hair so if you are going to keep it longer be sure to keep it trimmed to get rid of those split or straggling ends, have a good style & color. Be sure it’s kept well moisturized and in good condition.
• Lighten your hair as you get older for a more youthful look
• Grey hair can often look yellow so use a tinted shampoo to get rid of the yellow. Even letting your hair go naturally gray it’s rarely a good color gray so still needs some attention.
• Going gray can make you look years older so be careful how you do it. Start by letting the roots grow out a bit then start adding highlights. By doing it gradually it won’t be such a drastic change.
• Not all gray is good gray you can still use color in various shades of gray so get the shade that you want.
• When you first start to notice gray hairs coming in you can try a semi permanent color to cover them. Once it starts coming in at the roots and you have root growth you will need permanent color, it will need touching up about every 5 weeks. By adding highlights at this point you probably won’t notice the roots quite so quickly.
• To change up your look a bit throughout the year have your hair lighter during summer (add a few more highlights) and a bit darker shade (warmer tones) in the winter months tone down the highlights with a warmer tone. ladies changing your makeup from fall/winter and spring/summer is also a good thing.
• Getting your hair colored professionally can be expensive however try to get it done professionally once in a while and ask what color they are using so that you know what to purchase when you do it yourself in between times.
You may be over 50 but you don’t have to look your age. Remember that you can look 10 years younger with following a few smart tips and a bit of effort or just don’t bother and you can even 10 years older. It’s up to you!