No matter how old you are you probably want to be successful, but once you reach 50 it’s often a time for making changes. It’s another phase of life and many people take stock of their life and realize there are things that they really want to change or do.
If you want to be successful at something first you need to know what success means to you. How would you know that you are successful? It’s hard chasing something when you don’t know what it is.
Do you want to be a successful at having great health and fitness into old age, to have a successful relationship or be successful at a specific sport? Do you want to be a successful teacher, grandparent, dancer, pianist, guitar player, writer, cook or gardener; the options are endless and also very personal. To be successful at something that has meaning to you is a great feeling and adds to your confidence and self worth.
Whatever success means to you there are certain rules that you do need to follow.
1. Everything starts with a thought so what you think will most definitely affect your life and what you do. Start with examining your thoughts and if they are actually in alignment with what you say you want.
2. Decide what you really want and make sure that it’s really important to you. What are your goals and dreams? You need to know that it is appealing enough that you are willing to put in the effort and stay the course.
3. Thinking and deciding about what you want is not enough, you have to take consistent action to make it become a reality. It is easy to talk about doing something but it’s another thing actually doing it. It’s the action that makes things happen without that it will just remain a thought or a dream. You will never get fit by looking at exercise equipment you have to take action by using it.
4. Continue to be a student of life. Lifelong learning is essential to a healthy mind and in keeping up with what’s happening in the world around you. You will never know everything. Those that think they do know it all are usually very closed minded and often pretty boring.
5. To become successful at something usually means that you are in it for the long haul. You need to be persistent and consistent with your actions. Always have your goal in view and don’t take on too much all at once as it will overwhelm you. Take things in bite size manageable chunks.
6. Do your research first. Find out what it will take to get you from where you are now to where you want to be. This will help you to know the steps you need to take, and to be able to plan ahead and be prepared.
7. Stay focused on what you want to achieve. Don’t let unimportant distractions take your energy and attention from what’s important to you.
8. Share your successes with others and help others to achieve their goals too. Ask for help and support when you need it.
9. Be honest with yourself if you decide that what you are doing isn’t as important as you originally thought. It’s okay to change your mind and choose something else. It’s difficult to be successful at something that you don’t feel inspired about.
10. Now that you are over 50 it’s time to not take life so seriously so have fun doing whatever it is. Make it fun and it will be easier to achieve your desires.